HomeNewsPolice, TFZ downplay ‘June 30 attack’ yarn

Police, TFZ downplay ‘June 30 attack’ yarn

  • PDF
  • Print
  • E-mail

Combined police and military forces in Zamboanga City have denied categorically the rumored terrorist attack purportedly to take place this weekend, stressing that there is nothing to fear about.

“Zamboanga City is well secured. We have been on heightened alert status since martial law was declared in Mindanao. No additional nor reduction of our troops but our activities have increased to ensure that every member of the community is protected,” Task Force Zamboanga commander Col. Leonel Nicolas said Thursday.

Nicolas issued the assurance following the circulation via social media of a supposed intelligence information from the Philippine National Police (PNP) that terrorist groups like the Maute and Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) were to stage simultaneous attacks on key cities nationwide on June 30 using fuel tankers and trucks carrying liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).

He pointed out that security measures were implemented upon receipt of the said information, even as he also debunked rumors about the sightings of armed men in coastal villages.

“We are in constant communication with our counterparts in the island provinces. So far, we have not monitored any movements of lawless elements whether in the island or mainland provinces,” the TFZ commander said.

He also thanked the general public for their continued vigilance by sending in messages and information that they immediately act and verify.

For his part, City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (CDRRMO) head Dr. Elmeir Apolinario also shared with Nicolas’s statement, even as he advised the public not to panic and to refrain from forwarding unverified information.

He said the city government’s operation center is in place 24/7. “You have the contact numbers by which you can communicate with us any information you receive. Please, forward to us so that we can validate with our security forces any time of the day, and we will inform you accordingly.”

“The LGU is on top of the situation. Everything is normal and it’s business as usual in Zamboanga City,” Apolinario declared.-(Vic Larato)

Last Updated on Wednesday, 05 July 2017 08:35